2016 Relief Society Talk

Hi I am Nikki Hall for those of you who don’t know me, I have 5 year old girl and a 4 year old boy and i’m due in October, but we are not finding out what it is. I am extremely emotional I blame it on the hormones and so I apologize for whats to come.  I have been married for 7 years and lived in this ward 3. We have the great dane and we love anything Disney.  

Today I have been asked to teach you about about President Uchtdorf's talk from Aprils Conference He Will Place you on His Shoulders and Carry You Home. 

I don’t feel like I could tell you about his personal experience as well as he can. Please join me for a few minutes. 

Watch :22 to 4:25

As I was listening to him I had two key points stand out to me. 

1st The world around us appeared totally hopeless with out any future. 
and 2nd These scars are not only a reminder of the war history of this, but also an monument of of hope. A magnificent symbol of mans ability to create new life from the ashes. 
I would you to to think about these two questions in your mind for the next few minutes. 
Can you think of a time in your life that you have felt totally hopeless? 
Do we have scars that are now a symbol of where we’ve been and what we’ve become today that give us hope? 
I am going to share this extremely personal story with you and I don’t talk about it very often because it makes me emotional and its very hard for me to think about. I am going to read it in order to hopefully make sense. 







July 24th 2006, 10 years ago today. I was driving to work on canyon road in highland when I rolled my truck and was ejected over 90 feet. I don’t know how it happened I don’t anything except for what I have been told. Once they called the paramedics and ambulance, I was able to give them my parents information. My parents arrived on scene and were told that they would have a few seconds to talk to me as they transferred me from the ambulance to the helicopter where I would be life flighted to Provo. Not knowing if I would live or die. They told me they loved me and dad quickly placed is hands on my head and blessed me with oil. I then was taken to Provo where my parents would have to drive not knowing my outcome. My mom talks about walking in the E.R. and hearing me screaming and how wonderful it was to hear me alive, in pain, but I was alive. I went in to surgery where I had no internal bleeding or fatal wounds. I was in ICU for 6 days. I broke left arm which now has a metal plate in it. I cracked my scapula (shoulder blade) I broke a bone in my ear which caused permeant hearing loss. I knocked out many teeth and broke my jaw which was wired shut for 6 weeks. I’ve had many surgeries since that day. 

As President Uchtdorf said the people in Dresden felt hopeless, I too felt totally hopeless at this time in my life and I too have these scars are not only a reminder of the war history of that day, but those that give me hope. A magnificent symbol of mans ability to create new life from the ashes. 

As I struggled with recovery and rebuilding my self physically and spiritually I know he placed me on his shoulders.

President Uchtdorf said: 
"As I pondered the history of Dresden and marveled at the ingenuity and resolve of those who restored what had been so completely destroyed, I felt the sweet influence of the Holy Spirit. "Surely, I thought, if man can take the ruins, rubble, and remains of a broken city and rebuild an awe-inspiring structure that rises toward the heavens, how much more capable is our Almighty Father to restore His children who have fallen, struggled, or become lost?"

"It matters not how completely ruined our lives may seem. It matters not how scarlet our sins, how deep our bitterness, how lonely, abandoned, or broken our hearts may be. Even those who are without hope, who live in despair, who have betrayed trust, surrendered their integrity, or turned away from God can be rebuilt. Save those rare sons of perdition, there is no life so shattered that it cannot be restored."

After my accident I was angry, I felt ugly. I had no front teeth and a mouth of metal.  I wasn't in a good place mentally. I made poor choices. I had lost my faith. I wanted to know why did this happen to me? 

I heard about other accidents that happened that day how other people were ejected and died. I started looking at life differently. I thought why me, how come I am still here? How lucky and blessed am I? I was healing quickly and could feel the love and prayers of my family, friends and ward. My testimony is real of the healing power of the priesthood.  Now ten years later, looking back I am grateful for the eternal family that I have. I am blessed each day. The lord has continued to place me on his shoulders. I know the savior lives and loves me. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IN HIS WORDS

Quack Quack

Hawaii Day 8